 Robotics / 11002
Re: He's Smart, But He Ain't Got No Brains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:26:39 GMT

Hi Joe,

Sounds cool! And another example of how just a smidgen of mind produces an
intelligent behavior!

If you get this up on a web site, let me know, as I'd like to get a collection
of links to these types of robots.

David Leeper (can relate to just a smidgen of mind)

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Kopena writes:
Just to relax for a bit tonight, I made a photovore out of some LEGOs and a
HandyBoard. I was trying a chassis design I had been thnking about (4 wheels • w/
a hinge in the middle) and wasn't planning on putting a lot of work into him.
That being the case, I wrote a very simple program which would change the • speed
of the forward left and right wheels depending on which side's light sensor • was
higher (completely ignoring the case where they're very close ie: 244 vs. • 255),
and would backup and turn a bit when the bumper gets hit. After several • minutes
of getting stuck and lost inside the maze of chairs and desks that is the lab
he was born in, I put him outside, facing down the corridor. I was happy but
not very surprised to watch him make a straight line down the center of the
hall. However, I was very surprised when he got to the corner at the end of • the
hall, which is shaped like this:

    ______
    ____  \
        \  |
         | |
         | |
         | |

Much to my pleasant surprise, he made a perfect sweeping curve through the
corner and continued straight down the next hall (until he crashed into the
janitor doind his rounds). I couldn't have written a better curve to match • that
corner. I realize he's essentially just following the track of overhead lights
in the two straight corridors, but I found it amazing to watch as this very
simple creature pulled off this seemingly very complex task.

It's making me think of Braitenberg's vehicles in a much more appreciative
manner.

Just had to share this nifty little discovery :)