 Robotics / 10995
10994  |  10996
Subject:
He's Smart, But He Ain't Got No Brains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:33:55 GMT

Just to relax for a bit tonight, I made a photovore out of some LEGOs and a
HandyBoard. I was trying a chassis design I had been thnking about (4 wheels w/
a hinge in the middle) and wasn't planning on putting a lot of work into him.
That being the case, I wrote a very simple program which would change the speed
of the forward left and right wheels depending on which side's light sensor was
higher (completely ignoring the case where they're very close ie: 244 vs. 255),
and would backup and turn a bit when the bumper gets hit. After several minutes
of getting stuck and lost inside the maze of chairs and desks that is the lab
he was born in, I put him outside, facing down the corridor. I was happy but
not very surprised to watch him make a straight line down the center of the
hall. However, I was very surprised when he got to the corner at the end of the
hall, which is shaped like this:

     ______
     ____  \
         \  |
          | |
          | |
          | |

Much to my pleasant surprise, he made a perfect sweeping curve through the
corner and continued straight down the next hall (until he crashed into the
janitor doind his rounds). I couldn't have written a better curve to match that
corner. I realize he's essentially just following the track of overhead lights
in the two straight corridors, but I found it amazing to watch as this very
simple creature pulled off this seemingly very complex task.

It's making me think of Braitenberg's vehicles in a much more appreciative
manner.

Just had to share this nifty little discovery :)