 Robotics / 10960
Re: Stress related breaking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:30:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Clint Rutkas writes:
After working on my new robot Twitch, I've come up with some interesting
ways of overcoming problems like 2 motor outputs through a Turntable or how
to mount 6 motors in an area barely big enough for 4.

But after getting Twitch fully built and in the phase of being tweaked, I've
rebuild his feet twice, and on my latest attempt, I've just cracked a 24
tooth gear.  Wasn't a tooth, but the area where a peg would go in to the
outside of the gear.

I think you have used the old 3648 24z gear (replaced in 1998) which I have
cracked a few off. The new redesigned gear looks stronger than the old one
around the centrum of the gear, since some of the holes have been removed, and
I guess that it is a lot stronger than the old one (haven’t broke any of these
yet).

You can see them both at Jim Hughes’s Technica.
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/technica.html

This makes me worry about further cracking of gears down the line.  Anyone
know the amount of stress needed to crack the gear?

I don't know the amount of stress taken but before the redesign came I used
the crown gear 3650 in places with heavy load, they seem to handle it great.
So if you use the 3648 for light load (in the start of the gear train) and the
3650 for heavy load I think you don’t have to worry about the gear.

With very big gearing for slow raising of for example an heavy robot arm, you
might consider using 2 gear on both axes so the connection area between the
interfering tooth’s. By doing that you half the load on each gear and don’t
risk breaking any gear (you might break something else with an gearing like
that).

An big problem with heavy gearing in my experience is that if you move the
rotation between the load and the gear with an long axe, the axe get an
permanent twist, the axe can still be used but it don’t look good with that
twist in the middle. So use short axes if possible with heavy load.