 Robotics / 10806
RE: My RCX's life as a dog or hacking the x10
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:09:07 GMT

Michael,

Not knowing much about the X10 cam2, I remember my friends taking some small
PC cams apart.  Once the lens/filter was off, the image was not too great,
as the filter was some sort of IR type filter.  What they did was mount it
on the front door of their house with a bunch of IR transmitters (LEDs),
they then had a pretty good night cam.  You might try mounting some around
the cam lens (but slightly behind it so it doesnt get a direct view)... just
an idea.

"'o.o'"

-----Original Message-----
From: Mihalka, Michael [mailto:MihalkaM@marshallcenter.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 11:18 PM
Subject: My RCX's life as a dog or hacking the x10

Folks,

Last night I hacked my x10 cam2, attached it to a power block(s) and ran it
around the basement with the remote control. My experience was as follows:

My six-cell power blocks (akaline or ni-mh) didn't produce much of an image
in my basement (the x10 light gathering power is poor anyway). Maybe they
will produce a good image in the daylight (if I am ever home then).

My seven-cell unit did produce a good image even from the first floor to the
basement through my floor heating system (albeit with some interference).

The microphone didn't work very well producing a noticeable hum with
seven-cell unit. I presume this is because the wallwart for the transmitter
is rated at 12V 200mA while the seven cell unit is rated at 8.4V 940mA. As
my degree is not in electrical engineering perhaps someone with knowledge
can comment on this.

The x10 is extremely sensitive to IR. The remote when pressed produced a
white light more intense than a flashlight. This may have some important
implications for actually using the images.

Needless to say I agree with some others on this list that following my
RCX's view as a dog quickly loses its novelty.

As soon as I get my video capture stuff to work I will post some (dark)
images.

Michael