 Robotics / 10616
Re: Dragster race
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:59:34 GMT

Michael Naunton <mmn@interactive.net> wrote:
Mario,

Very cool.  One question:  were any other sensors (e.g. a touch sensor)
allowed?

Yes, touch sensor were allowed. Temperature sensors as well :-))
But no rotation sensors.

Mario

Mario Ferrari wrote:

Our third  Italian Legofest featured a funny dragster race. In brief, • the
dragster had to be built using just Lego parts (except batteries), use • up to
3 motors, 1 light sensor, and run at its best on a 5m distance delimited • by
black tape. The main constraint was that it had to stop in 20cm after • the
finishing line, otherwise the run would have been declared null.

I personally thought this challenge was even too simple and not so
"robotic", but it deserved some unexpected difficulty and taught us many
interesting things:

- How to time the performance with a resolution of 1/100s using the • built-in
1/10s RCX timers.
- How to stop a vehicle that's running at 1.6m/s (5.3ft/s) in just 20cm
(less than 8in).
- What kind of batteries give better results.

You can find some detail, pictures and NQC code at the ItLUG site:
http://www.itlug.org, follow the link to the Events page and from there • to
the Legofest III, Dragster race (text both in Italian and English).

If you have any further question not answered on the web page I'll be • glad
to help.

Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari
LUGNET member page:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=22