 Robotics / 10582
Re: LEGO Machine Gun - NOT!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 06:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Tarrabain writes:
Apparently, its being mentioned on slashdot made it just a tad _too_
popular.  That link is now dead.

I would have liked to have seen it, at least... oh well.

The link is dead but I'm not.  When I can finally pick up the pieces
(I've been juggling multiple emergencies) I'll try to get something to
you and the other 10000 or so people who have been getting the
"out of order" page.

And "a tad" is the understatement of the year.  Try 100 times as much
as I was prepared for.  Literally, the one HTML page in question went
from 200 hits per week to maybe 20,000 (and maybe a lot more) in just
two days.  Even after the initial rush wears off, I don't
think this will be the sort of thing my ISP account was set up for--
because I'm now getting requests from e.g. a kid whose English teacher
told him about it not knowing it was already off line--
but I'm looking into other options.

On the bright side, the discussion on /. inspired me to hack on the
gun's design for a few minutes, and I now have a prototype that uses
Technic shock absorbers instead of the (non-LEGO) rubber band.