 Robotics / 10480
10479  |  10481
Subject:
Pneumatic Solenoid Valve Interest Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:31:16 GMT

I managed to find a small collection of 12V Solenoid valves.  I have been
working on trying to get them to work with the RCX Brick.  The voltage output
of the Brick is pretty low.  I have been able to get very good success using
just a battery pack and they work great with an RCX that is hooked up to an AC
transformer, but the success with just an RCX is so-so.  I can get them to
work say 85% of the time.  The problem is that with the reduced voltage the
solenoid valve has a hard time tripping far enough to close the exhaust valve
on the three way.  But like I said it will do it about 85% of the time.

I have nylon fittings to port the "in" and "out" to 1/16 inch for use with
Lego pneumatics and have mounted the solenoid valve to a brick to give it an
attachment point.  I also wired it to a spliced Lego electric cord to finish
the job.  They turned out pretty well, and happened to be almost exactly 6
bricks and 2 plates high.  If you want you can check out an image of one at:

http://www.jps.net/henrik/danweb/solenoid1.jpg

My big question is would anyone be interested in purchasing some of these from
me? And if so, how much would you be willing to pay?  I only have about 25-30
or so of them, and would like to sell them, but honestly I hesitate to just
sell them officially and outright since I cant guarantee that they work with
the RCX.  I thought about trying to re-work them so that you would hook them
up to both an RCX and a power pack and when tripped would kick in both the
pack and the RCX, but its a little more work than I am willing to do right
now,  especially with my current financial situation.  Let me know what you
think.  I will base prices on my costs, what responses I get and your thoughts.
I am eager to hear from you.