 Robotics / 10469
Re: Legos get you into college
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:17:16 GMT

nospam-dcchen@pacbell.net-nospam writes:

It is nice that universities are attempting to create opportunities by
testing
for non-traditional problem solving skills but...Fact is, in the real
world
and to excell in higher education, you have to have the skills that
everyone
else possesses.  There IS a de facto standard language of information
exchange,
be it math, english, problem solving skills, formalized thinking, etc.
You
are NOT going to get into Harvard Law school for getting an "A" in
Ebonics, but
flunking Freshman English (that was a noble/PC experiment gone very
bad).

IMHO
The skills you are refering to are NOT tested in any way on a standardized
test.  As a matter of fact a big part of the problem with education has to do
with the amount of time students spend working on irrelevant skills.  When
was the last time ANYONE had to take a standardized test as a part of your
job duties.  The situation does just does not exist in the "real world".  If
we are interested in replicating real world situations we should start by
eliminating standardized tests from schools.