 Robotics / 1035
Re: Where to get Mac software...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:52:22 GMT

Hi,

Why $190?

When I got my Mac software from them I paid $95 plus shipping and got more
than I needed... (909725, Robotic Guide and RCX Software, $70.00; 979713,
Infrared Transmitter and cable, $25.00)

The parts I got gave me a "turn key" solution (worked out of the box).

The Guide included teaching instructions and plans for the DACTA amusement
park (not needed, but interesting).  The IR transmitter is the same as the
one in the Mindstorms set, but I didn't have to figure out an adapter.

In months past people posted Pitsco part numbers for just the Robolab
software and "do it your self" PC to Mac cable conversion, but I don't have
the info handy.

Garry

All,

If this has been covered before, please be patient and direct me to the
FAQ... (or talk to me offline) Thanks.

My Mac-based son wants a Mindstorms for Xmas. Pitsco-Dacta wants to sell
me $190 worth of stuff on top of the Mindstorms set just to get the Mac
Robolab software. We are not a school, so the cheaper method ($25
software package) is not available to us. We are interested in
alternative programming environments, but until we get a RCX
mac-connected and working, I hesitate to try something experimental...
This IS for my kid.

Later, when we have the basics down, then doing it with Not-Quite-C or
something similar, will be fine.

BTW, does anyone know if REALBasic on the Mac can handle the Lego VB API
stuff?

Thanks,
Michael