 Robotics / 10297
RE: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:14:54 GMT

I often wondered if a lot of robot development has been hindered by trying
to emulate biological systems. Just look at the development of the airplane
and how ridiculous some of the early "bird" planes looked.

Just a thought...

Mark Geddes

hmmm... I wonder if I can get the RCX off the ground by flapping those
orange wings fast enough... ;-)

David Leeper wrote:

Hi Carsten,

The other day I was trying to get to Target. I didn't know • where the store
was, so I asked directions. I was told:

<i>Go down the street to the second light and make a left, • go two more lights
and its on the right.</i>

Strange. There was no timing involved or counting the turns • of wheels, but I
got there.

OTOH, how many mid-course corrections did you make as you
walked down the
(linear, visible)
street to maintain the precise orientation when you reached the light?

Landmarks work if they are universally visible, but not if
they are beyond the
apparent horizon.