 Robotics / 10254
10253  |  10255
Subject:
gear meshings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:34:35 GMT

I have tried to figure out the gear meshings of the standard Lego beams, half
beams, gears etc.  I came up with the concept of the Legon, the smallest
unit of Lego measurement which seems to be about 1/32nd of an inch.

I then used a couple of programs to search for possible gear meshings on
horizontal, vertical and diagonals using increments of half holes [generated
by the small special two hole beams] horizontally and plates vertically.

The first draft of the results are at

www.aloha.net/~mburger

The results were "tested" by looking for some favorite empircally discovered
suitable meshings, but could otherwise contain errors.  Also it is hard to
describe just what is meant by a spacing, is it inclusive holes, holes between,
space between etc.  The program was aimed at finding center to center
distances between so it takes a minute to figure out just what the charts are
saying.  Also the tolerances are still uncertain.  Plus and Minus 1/32nd of an
inch were used in the search.