 Robotics / 10187
Re: Battle Bots?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:21:25 GMT

I tried to organize one in the Los Angeles area.  Even had rules set up
per Nate Burgess.  See URL:  http://www.azimuthmedia.com/RobotArena/

No one signed up.  Would be willing to try again though.

Dave

Patrick Hayes wrote:

BUT when i put the idea forward many of the people involved basically
said that they did not want to enter a RCX battle bot type event for
fear of having their very expensive RCX broken.  or for that matter any
lego broken.  in one pic you can see a pic of an all lego multi-battery
box hammer.

They complained about maybe having a ten-cent chunk of plastic break?  Come
on, people, they're Legos!  People who do _real_ BattleBots often spend
$5-10,000 of their own money and ridiculous amounts of time on a single
robot, and they _know_ that most of it will be broken.  I hope to
participate in it myself, price be damned (assuming my wife doesn't disagree
;-)  It's coming up with a good design and finding time to build it that's
proven to be the hardest part).  RCX is practically free when it comes to
robotics.  After all, it's a cheaper variation on what fischerTechnik has
long been:  a way to prototype robots in a _disposable_ way.  That's why I
love them.

Patrick Hayes
Programmer, inventor, composer, and mad scientist ;-)

Insert flames here: