 Robotics / 10143
Re: stupid question: meaning of RAW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:59:45 GMT

Raw values are the values that come straight out of the sensor to the RCX.  Usually these values are interpreted in a specific way depending on what kind of sensor it is.  For example, the touch sensor is thought of as a boolean- it is touched, or it is not; but it actually transmits some RAW value to the RCX, which knows how to translate that into the boolean value.

You can also just use the RAW value from the sensor directly in your program if you prefer.  There is a nice explanation of the sensor mode (and a lot of other good stuff) in the beginning of Baum's book.  That's also where I found out what the heck the differential was and how to make a ratchet!

-kennep

From: dominic frutiger <droid11@student.ethz.ch>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:51:45 +0100

hi folks,

it must be a stupid question: what exactly is the meaning of RAW
(for example: SetSensorMode(SENSOR_2, SENSOR_MODE_RAW)).
i use this mode, and i know the range: 0-1024. but i didn't find any
more precise description in my manuals concerning the quality of the
light or whatever else it could be - and i need the info now. what are
the differences to other modes except the bigger range?

thanks

have a nice day
df