 Robotics / 10128
Re: what do you think of my website ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:33:12 GMT

From: "Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com>
Hi people,

what do you all think of my website ?
http://welcome.to/legomindstorms

Well, honestly, when I first opened the site up
in my browser, I thought, ho-hum, another useless
graphics intensive site with stupid content after
the home page....

BUT, the analog clock and CD-Wall are really COOL!

Now, I'll be the first to admit I have a real bias
against graphic-heavy sites, so my only suggestion
is to use simple text and pictures on a white background,
no goofy frames or Java scripts. This makes it
easier for kids in schools with OLD computers to print
your web-page for inspiration.

Keep posting your excellent creations, and remember that
the free advice I offer on web-site content are my own
and free, and as such, worth every penny!

I agree with Ralph, although I find it harder to read text on a white
background.  Still, stick with plain, high contrast colors.  I personally
like white on a deep blue (http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes is setup this
way, but has nothing to do with Lego).

The balls that are supposed to chase the mouse pointer are annoying and
don't work properly for me (IE5.0 on Windows 2000).  The balls are about 100
pixels to the left of the mouse cursor.

The music is really annoying.

The green text and red text on black is hard to read, and your background
just makes it even harder.  Red is especially hard, as red is fairly low
contrast against black.

The robots are cool, but all of this animation just distracts from them.

alex