 Publishing / Photography / 91
90  |  92
Subject:
Photo Manipulation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:23:23 GMT

Hey,
Woo-hoo!  I found the right newsgroup for my inquiries!  And I see by
looking around my questions on lighting and camera types have been discussed
already.  Thanks!

One topic remains, which I do not see discussed formerly... Photo Manipulation.

By that I mean improving image quality, adding backgrounds, filtering light
sources, etc.  I have seen some really cool posts on brickshelf and elswhere
where the creator has placed a Train MOC with a backdrop of real trees, or a
Space MOC with a backdrop of stars and planets.  Other artists have added
sparkles and sun beams to highlight lights, magical gems, thrusters, etc.

Is all this cool eye candy a result of Photoshop?  Are other methods used
with Photoshop?  Are any other software available that might allow for some
of these fun extras?  Are there any special considerations of photography,
lighting, and sets to plan for such work?

I currently am very behind the times when it comes to multimedia glitz.  My
old 266 P-2 with a rapidly filling 4 GB drive would probably suffer cardiac
arrest if I tried to download a full version of Photoshop.  I can borrow a
relative's scanner to scan photos from my cheap camera.  And I can add only
a few effects with MS Photo Editor or LView.  Otherwise, I am entirely low
tech (and those two things are mighty low to begin with).

So, is there any hope to add cool backdrops, captions, thought bubbles, etc.
for those of us with ancient technologies?

Thanks for any reponse!

-Hendo