 Publishing / Photography / 254
Re: What camera do you guys use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:03:14 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, John Henry Kruer wrote:

Okay, with some research into the digicam discussion, here’s some information I found.

   The Fuji can take extra lenses too, in fact I’m going to try to buy a close-up filter so I can just screw it on and use the camera in normal mode zooming in. This reduces distortion and allows for easier lighting.

Checking for some of the lenses, I was pleased to find a few low dispersion glass lenses, but as noted, they need a small adaption to fit. Attached, though, they are compatable with Hoya filters. The only real problem is attaching especially large lenses to the body (in some cases this will obstruct the viewfinder. This is a reason as to why I’m also considering the E20.)

   Yeah, the Olypmus was competing right up there with the Fuji, and it has a great macro mode as well. But in the end I went with the Fuji because of ergonomics and because the Olympus had some issues with CAs (purple fringing, which I HATE) and noise.

Noise is a problem, but I as noted in some opinions on Dpreview (and wherever else I read) that problem can be corrected by properly adjusting the sharpness settings. Regarding Chromatic abberation, I believe the employment of low dispersion glasses (extra low dispersion is also useful) pretty much offsets that problem.

   But it was definently up there. I’d still reccomend it.

I was particularly drawn in by the bright f1.8 lens (good for some great night exposures) and its facilitation of multiple media cards. I believe it can also take the IBM micro drive (1 GB), which is great compared to the Sony F717 which can only take 128 Megs. (A typical large file might be around three to seven mags, maybe worse.) Since travelling is one of my interestsm (and taking a lot of pics at a time) memory was definitely one of those issues to consider.

I’m not sure on the cost of the IBM drive unit, though. I read that Sony plans to release a similar 1 Gb memory card for their F717 in the next coming months, which will sell for about $800. However, at that price, you could purchase another F717 model!

   I don’t know much about the PC world reviews, though... they never tell you much in detail.

Unfortunately not enough. I found another site which gives very comprehsienve listings, and both the S602/ c 5050 arrived at a similar rating. (reccommeneded.)

   Yeah, it does. Don’t know how the last phrase came into being. I guess maybe I meant with a flash? I dunno.... :)

External flash units can get pretty expsneive, though. I’ve seen FL-40 units in the upwards of $200 +

   Doesn’t Todd use a DSLR, or at least something very close?

Yeah, most likely a high end DSLR. (probably a Sigma or Nikon). I found a few high end models on B&H, but as usual, they’re overpriced.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=224732&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=266188&is=REG

   Right now I’m using the HP model, but that will change within the next few weeks! Aside from that, I use a canon AE-1 model for non-lego purposes, but its FD lenses are expensive (especially the sigma models and any non-fisheye lens under 24mm!)

Uhh... SLR... did you mean EOS-1?

Not an EOS, however it is SLR model from the early 80’s. It’s not that bad (has a wide variety of FL lenses available) and takes some decent pictures. Still, being used lens, I just can’t get over the pricing of a 17mm non-fisheye at around $300 USD.

http://www.zanzig.com/travel/camera2.htm

By the time the 5050 goes obsolete, I might invest in an E-20 or the new E-1 version. The Fujifilm S2 also looks very appealing. However, with payments for college and a good chance to start investing in stocks and commodities, expensive photographic equipment will have less priority.

Osprey, over and out

M.Aaron Hein

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/Creations/