 Publishing / Photography / 217
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 01:20:41 GMT

Thanks to all for your input!  I can't retake my earlier photos of my
capital ship but future posts should look alot better.  I didn't anything
about photography before this.  Thanks again :-)

In lugnet.publish.photography, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.publish.photography, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.space, Chris Phillips writes:
It is much better to shoot from further away and crop the image
than to shoot from too close and then try to reduce and/or sharpen
those fuzzy pixels.

True, but a sharp, resized image will look even better than a sharp
cropped image, especially if the photo was taken in less than perfect
light.

I agree, reducing the image size should always result in a sharper image,
where cropping will not change the sharpness.  I more meant that one reason
I find myself getting too close to the subject is that I am trying to frame
the shot to include only the intended subject.  If I back off a bit and
allow extra stuff to creep into the shot around the edges, then crop that
stuff out, I get a sharper image than if I first shoot too close and then
reduce/sharpen the image later.

Two other tricks I forgot to mention:

1. When shooting still subjects with a tripod, you can use the camera's
built-in timer to eliminate "shutter punch" jiggling of the camera-- you
aren't even touching the camera when it takes the picture.

2. If low light is really a problem that you can't solve when shooting, most
digital cameras do tend to collect light better at lower resolutions, since
the same image is being focused onto fewer pixel elements of the CCD, hence
more lumens to gather per pixel.  So as a last resort, you could try
shooting the original picture at a lower resolution (smaller image size) to
increase the overall brightness/sharpness of your pictures.  Remember that
the quicker the camera collects the light it needs to take the picture, the
less time you have to jiggle the camera.

Hope this helps.

- Chris.