 Publishing / Photography / 212
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:38:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Chris Phillips writes:
5.  Be careful not to get too close to your subject!  Even in macro mode
(designated by a flower icon on most cameras) you should not be closer than
a couple feet or else the lens will not focus.  (Consult your camera owner's
manual for the exact focal distance in various lens modes.)

This really depends on the camera.  Mine, for example, has a focus
range of 2.0 cm to infinity, and a manual focus if the auto focus
isn't doing its job.
Also, in order to get a greater depth of field, you should reduce the
aperture (increase the f-stop) if you can...By taking macro photos
with an f-stop between 6 and 11, I have managed to get the entire model
in focus, even when shooting from very close.

It is much better to shoot from further away and crop the image
than to shoot from too close and then try to reduce and/or sharpen
those fuzzy pixels.

True, but a sharp, resized image will look even better than a sharp
cropped image, especially if the photo was taken in less than perfect
light.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu