 Publishing / Photography / 186
Re: Better Color Balance with Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:45:58 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.publish.photography, Ray Sanders writes:

With no color chart at hand, it finally dawned on me that I could
make one out of various colors of bricks. So I took my little white baseplate
and dug around in the parts bins for the widest variety of colors I could
find.

Voila...  now I get much better color balance...

Hi Ray,
How does having a color chart help provide a better color balance?  Do you
take pictures with the color chart in them, and edit it out?  Or is it just
a reference pic to help get the colors right when editing?

Jeff J

It appears to be a software issue, either in the camera's firmware or in
photoshop. Anytime I take a digital photo, I use 'Image / Adjust / Autolevels'
to get the colors back to something approximating the natural color of the
picture. The picture, as it comes from the camera, usually has a color skew
cause by the ambient light being used: incandescent, flourescent, hallogen,
etc. So I use Autolevel to try to recover the natural color. Unfortunately,
when the only colors in the picture are the background white and a largish lego
part in red, Autolevels gives me a result with a distinct blue tone on all the
white areas. Placing the same lego part on a white background with an
accompanying spread of reference colors (1x2 bricks in this example), appears
to supply the software (probably photoshop) with something it needs to sort out
the intended color balance. Mostly, this is conjecture on my part, but I can
attest to the fact that it does make a difference (in my situation) and gets me
the result I wanted.

Ray