 Publishing / Photography / 126
Re: Some Questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 15:44:51 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, John Henry Kruer writes:
Can somebody show me an example of a 1.3 megapixel picture?

Is 1.3 MP acceptable?

Does less resolution = less quality?

Does anybody have, or have used an Argus 1.3 megapixel DC3200 digicam?If so,
can you review it?

I bought my first digital camera in March, and I've never heard of Argus.
Kodak made a model called the DC3200, but it was only 1.0 megapixel, and
Kodaks don't seem to get the best reviews.
This site (that I heard about here on Lugnet) is excellent for reviews:
http://www.megapixel.net

Anyway, everything in my brickshelf gallery was taken with a Sony DSC-P30,
which is 1.3MP:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=jjardine

The 1.3MP number really only applies if you're taking pics at the camera's
maximum resolution, which would be 1280x960.  Having huge resolution only
matters if you use it.  All my pics were taken at a mere  640x480 because
jumbo pics on brickshelf are annoying.  When shooting Lego, a good macro mode
(for close-ups) is more important than high resolution.  I can get to within
three inches of my subject and get a nice, clear picture with macro mode on.

My Sony was very cheap at $CDN 300, BUT I also had to get rechargable batteries
($CDN 30 - rechargable batteries are a must, these things are battery pigs)
and a larger memory stick ($45 for 16Mb).  Overall, I'm really pleased with it.

Tip: before you buy anything, TRY IT FIRST.  See how close-ups look on a
monitor, not just the camera's LCD screen.

Jeff J