 Publishing / HTML / 415
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:10:55 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
I actually think that the Top Stories box should be removed from the
main LUGNET homepage.

Nnnooooooo...   ;]

Here's the deal:  I used to be an avid LUGNET poster, but due to a lot of
issues not related to LUGNET or LEGO I had to shelve the hobby for about
2 years.  I'm now trickling back to it, at least the purchasing part of
the hobby.  So currently the only reasons I come to LUGNET are to look
for shopping info, check out new sets, and to update my collection database.
Because I don't browse the newsgroups, the only exposure I get to top
leading discussion topics is on the home page.  Were it not for that I
would have been totally unaware of topics like this one, like Brickfan,
like the change in grey bricks, etc.

LUGNET may be meant to be a network for people, but I believe that there are
a very large number of people who use it purely as a resource.  Those people
may not have any time/interest for reading/posting in newsgroups.  The
only way top news items might be getting to them now is via the hot topics
list on the home page (or a feature similar to it TBD).  It is also a great
hook for attracting newcomers into the newsgroups.

So please try to keep something on the homepage that highlights the leading
topics in the newsgroups.  One suggestion I could make might be to change
the way the hot topics are selected and/or organized onto the home page.
Right now it's based on user voting.  That's okay, but sometimes you get
a ton of topics getting voted for, many of which are not really that hot,
and so a lot of "routine" things end up on the front page.  Like almost
every MOC.  :]  Perhaps the hot topics could be sub-cat'ed into "general
news" and "theme news"?  Can't have it overly micro, but also don't want
the space reserved for "big news" to get diluted with "chat as usual".

Thanx and regards,
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada