 Administrative / General / 11336
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:29:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dave Lovelace wrote:
   Whatever you do, don’t replace the super-awesome Escheristic logo.

Ya, that’s gotta stay.

   Further, I’ll voice my opinion that the homepage looks just fine and a complete overhaul isn’t going to bring in any new members. Lotsa effort for nuttin’. Ain’t broke, don’t fix, etc.

It may not be broken to you, who are familiar with it and have been using it for years...but it’s been pointed out by many that it can be quite confusing for first-time visitors.

   And why showcase the affilates so much?

Well, LUGNET was created to unite the LEGO community online, not to segment it. The current homepage feels rather isolationist. How many clicks from the homepage does it take you to find 1000steine.de? How many clicks to find BZPower? Sites like these should be one or at most two clicks away.

Try to keep in mind that LUGNET is often the first or second LEGO site that many people entering the community see. It should show what the community as a whole has to offer.

   What about a table fulla “Friends of LUGNET” graphics in the sidebar below the Top Stories?

I actually think that the Top Stories box should be removed from the main LUGNET homepage. It’s redundant with the News homepage. Our intention two years ago when we first had the ability to add Spotlight boxes to sidebars was to remove it from the main homepage after people had gotten used to finding it in the News homepage sidebar (say, after a transitional period of one week), but deleting it from the main homepage got lost in the shuffle.

LUGNET doesn’t equal news/forums. LUGNET has news and forums, and the homepage should make it very easy for everyone to find the news homepage, but the main homepage shouldn’t over-emphasize LUGNET News at the expense of the bigger picture, namely that LUGNET is a network of people.

--Todd