 Publishing / HTML / 248
247  |  249
Subject:
IE 6 Image Woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:22:58 GMT

It occurs to me that many people are probably using IE 6 by now; at the same
time most people are likely unaware of some weird and poorly chosen default
settings in the browser.

Now this may seem off-topic, and I have set followups accordingly, but since
most of us are here to look at the interesting creations of others how a
browser handles images is of at least some importance.  Anyway, here's what
IE 6 is doing and what you can do to overcome these *improvements*.

IE 6 is set up to do 3 things by default that I find very annoying:
1. Resize images automatically
2. Dither images automatically
3. Hover an image handling toolbar over images

Had you been wondering why image quality seemed to be so poor in IE 6?
Wonder no more, those first two *improvements* are the likely culprits and
cause of the problem!

To overcome these features of IE 6 do the following:
1. Pull down the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options..."
2. Select the "Advanced" tab.
3. Scroll down the list until you hit the "Multimedia" section.
4. Uncheck the boxes with the following labels:
     a. "Enable Automatic Image Resizing"
     b. "Enable Image Toolbar (requires restart)"
     c. "Smart Image Dithering"
5. Click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the window.
6. Close out all open programs including IE 6.
7. Restart your computer.

Now you should see images as they were meant to be seen, and not just as IE
6 is prepared to show them to you.  I am guessing that these moves will
actually improve performance of the browser as it is now NOT doing all kinds
of image manipulation on the fly.

-- Hop-Frog