 Publishing / HTML / 179
Re: Instructions for Mobile Message Decoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 02:17:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner writes:
I've just finished the largest set of instructions I've ever done.  This is
for the Mobile Message Decoder, one of my entries in the Blacktron contest.
Half of the reason I'm posting is to ask for input on the style of the
instructions.

Half a reason from Halfhead Hafner...sounds about half right...

8?D

Check it out here:
http://www.hafhead.com/lego/myspace/bttrain/steps01.html

Overall, I like the look of everything you've done with the instructions,
with the following notes:

These are all constraints I'm trying to work with.  Am I asking for too much?
Browsable: small overall download size and reasonably navigable

Definately looks good on screen...for on screen viewing, the screen
resolution JPGs are fine. Sucks to print though...72dpi is 72dpi, no matter
the printer or paper or quality of ink. If printability is truly important
to you, another soultion is called for.

As for navigability...I think numbered steps would be far more effective
than the arrows, especially since there was no differentiation between steps
where I needed to read top-to-bottom column one, then continue to column
two, or steps where there is more than one assembly happening at once. Also,
"Page 1 of 16" as a link is vague...I didn't know this was the way to page 2
until I tried it. How about "1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5" style, so the reader can
move back and forth at will? Also, having the navigation at the top when the
final step on the page is at the bottom means I have to scroll to the top of
the page to move on...you could put the same navigation links at the top and
bottom of each page to make it easier.

Printable: page layout designed around printed sheet

Except for the screen resolution thing, the pages print well, and fit a
letter size sheet of paper just fine. If you want to get a better print
quality, you could always go with Acrobat PDF files instead.

Other than that, I think you have a winner here, and it's darn nice of you
to supply the instructions for your models...very cool.

Matt