 Publishing / Brick Journal / * (-5)
Subject:
Win $1000 and a LEGOLand Annual Pass in the BrickMagic Challenge!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:51:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The BrickMagic LEGO Festival (May 5-8, 2011 in Raleigh, NC) is proud to announce the first-ever BrickMagic Challenge! All BrickMagic exhibitors will have their LEGO creations automatically entered, and the best overall creation will receive $1000 and a LEGOLand Annual Pass for its builder!

A winner will be chosen from each of the following ten categories, and the builder will receive a LEGO-related prize, and a one-page feature on their work in an upcoming issue of BrickJournal:

• Best Train Club layout
• Best Brick of Character (a creation of a famous person, icon, or cartoon or novelty character)
• Best Space layout (inspired by sci-fi, NASA, or anything dealing with outer space)
• Best Technic design (any mechanical model that moves, powered or not)
• Best Mindstorms design
• Best Castle layout
• Best Microscale creation (smaller the minifigure scale)

plus 3 “Judges Choice” awards (each judge will pick their favorite that’s not a winner in one of the other categories)

Then, one overall “Best of Show” will be chosen from these 10 winners, and will be featured on the cover of an upcoming issue of BrickJournal. That builder will also receive:

• A $1000 cash prize • An Annual Pass to the new LEGOLand Florida theme park (opening October 2011; the pass is good for unlimited admission through December 2012)

Judging will be conducted by Certified Professional LEGO Builder Sean Kenney, BrickJournal magazine editor Joe Meno, and a representative of LEGO.

Anyone with an original LEGO MOC (“My Own Creation”) they would like to display is welcome to become an Exhibitor, and take part in the LEGO fan community. Exhibitors pay a $50 registration fee, which covers the cost of tables and space for their creations. All exhibitors also receive:

Access to Exhibitor-only presentations and workshops
Eligibility for door prizes donated by LEGO and other sponsors
A complimentary meal (courtesy of MOE’s Southwest Grill)
At least two limited edition LEGO sets (the BrickMagic Event Kit, and one provided by BrickMania)
A goodie bag filled with special LEGO-related surprises
Complimentary tickets to the BrickFlix Film Festival (May 4 at 9pm)
A special discount redeemable during BrickMagic weekend at the Raleigh LEGO retail store
And more to come!

To register as an Exhibitor, or for more information on BrickMagic 2011, go to www.brickmagic.org or e-mail exhibit coordinator Joe Meno at admin@brickjournal.com

Subject:
Announcements of one type or another...it's been a while!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish.brickjournal, lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 06:26:21 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

it’s been some time since I posted here about BrickJournal, and for those wondering, no I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth. Far from it. And I’ll be telling you what’s been going on...

BrickJournal

BrickJournal has grown from an online magazine to print, and while doing so, has covered events from Brickworld to FIRST LEGO League World Festival. With this, the magazine’s Flickr archive has gathered over 30,000 photos from Europe and the United States. In print we have printed 9 issues and have gone from quarterly to bimonthly publication this year.

BrickJournal.com

BrickJournal’s website has also changed this year, as its webhost was bought by another service. The new site is cleaner, and while still a little empty, it will eventually have selected articles from the magazine. Currently, it has current news, exclusive information and instructions, and the Pic of the Day, where a photo from the BrickJournal archive is presented.

BrickJournal Video Podcast

There’s also a video podcast for the magazine - you can find it at iTunes, where there are some videos with some of the builders spotlighted in the magazine. More will be coming soon!

BrickJournal Mobile

Speaking of iTunes, BrickJournal now has an free iPhone app, and soon will have a Google Android app. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can find the app through iTunes. The BrickJournal app has all the feeds from the website, my blog, and Flickr gallery. It’s a one stop shop to see what is going on with the magazine!

And one more thing....

BrickMagic

I’m happy to announce that BrickJournal is one of the organizers of BrickMagic, a LEGO Fan event in Raleigh, North Carolina on May 7, 8, and 9, 2010 - Mother’s Day weekend! Registration is open and can be done at BrickMagic’s website. There will be things for the AFOLs and the public, so check out the site for information! I can’t say too much about what’s being planned yet, but it’s going to be fun!

You can keep up with BrickJournal through: BrickJournal.com BrickJournal Journal Twitter Facebook page

You can keep up with BrickMagic through: BrickMagic.org Twitter Facebook page

Many thanks for all those who have helped the magazine - BrickJournal is 5 years old in June, and it has grown thanks to AFOLs here and abroad!

Joe Meno

Re: Brick Journal site problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:31:30 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, David Gregory wrote:
   Does the Brick Journal site cause anyone else’s browser to freeze/crash? I tried a couple of different browsers with the same result.

David

No problems here. I tried both FireFox and MSIE with no problems. Could it be your installation of Flash? I noticed the Hulu players at the bottom of the page are embedded Flash. You could try install Flashblock and see if that helps.

--Mike.

Subject:
Brick Journal site problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:13:59 GMT

Does the Brick Journal site cause anyone else's browser to freeze/crash?  I
tried a couple of different browsers with the same result.

David

Subject:
BrickJournal at LEGO store
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:41:30 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

During one of my my far too frequent visits to my local LEGO shop I had one of
the managers show me an article in the BrickJournal which they were carrying on
their shelves. I got really excited and blabbed on and on about how I knew Joe
etc. The majority of the employees there really didn't understand what they were
carrying or how to market it. I took the opportunity to purchase my copy (sorry
about not pre-ordering) and hopefully show them the value of this beautiful
publication. They definitely looked on it more favorable, and hopefully were
more excited about it.

Congrats Joe and staff, not only for coming this far, and for such an incredible
publication, but for your official recognition by LEGO proper!

Scott

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact