 Publishing / Brick Journal / *275 (-5)
Re: Brick Journal Calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:03:03 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Joe Meno wrote:
I originally thought about that, but there are some countries that are larger
than others that have provinces and states. I really want some country icons,
and I might do some hacking to see if it's possible.

Well, as someone living in the second largest country in the world I would have
no problem seeing all my compatriots events listed as being in Canada. The flags
(or whatever) would be a nice addition but for now it would improve the utility
without any hacks.

BTW, got my first print issue of Brick Journal this week and I will be showing
it off to my LUGmates tomorrow. The quality is fantastic.

Re: Brick Journal Calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:52:09 GMT

I originally thought about that, but there are some countries that are larger
than others that have provinces and states. I really want some country icons,
and I might do some hacking to see if it's possible.

Joe

Joe,  Do a search for ISO 3166 -- those are the ISO-established 2-digit country
codes.

Re: Brick Journal Calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Ted Godwin wrote:
In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Joe Meno wrote:
Okay, so what color scheme do you want - by type of event or country? Either
way, it will take a little time.

If I may venture a suggestion: Make the colour scheme about the type of event
and shorten the "location" field to the two-letter country code (ie: us, ca, uk,
etc). The full address can be in the description field but it would not only
make it a lot easier to read but reduce the amount of space each listing takes
up on the calendar.

I originally thought about that, but there are some countries that are larger
than others that have provinces and states. I really want some country icons,
and I might do some hacking to see if it's possible.

Joe

Re: Brick Journal Calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:18:51 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Joe Meno wrote:
Okay, so what color scheme do you want - by type of event or country? Either
way, it will take a little time.

If I may venture a suggestion: Make the colour scheme about the type of event
and shorten the "location" field to the two-letter country code (ie: us, ca, uk,
etc). The full address can be in the description field but it would not only
make it a lot easier to read but reduce the amount of space each listing takes
up on the calendar.

Re: Brick Journal Calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:29:37 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Joe and Crew,

Not sure who is personally responsible for the Brick Journal Calendar
http://brickjournal-space.near-time.net/calendar/view_month?date=2008-06-01
so I will post here, and hopefully it will get into the right hands.

I manage the calendar:-).

And before I get into this, let me first start of with a thank you for having a
central "Calendar of Events". It is a wonderful idea, useful for fans, and more
than likely a "chore" for someone to keep this updated.

It's all three:-)

I realize that "beggars should not be choosers"... but I am hoping you will
consider this idea, since all this work goes into this resource, I would like to
see it be a bit more user friendly.

Currently many days are filled with long running events or museum displays, and
that makes finding Fest dates or other AFOL centric events difficult.  Would it
be possible to colour code the listings, by type of event (for example, Fests in
red, museum shows in blue), or by geographical area, (by country perhaps)?

I had pushed for that functionality for me last year, and found out that the
calendar app wasn't that advanced at all..which really wasn't the answer I
wanted.

I really wanted country icons, but there was no provision for them.

Since you asked me this, though, I went back to the calendar and did some
hacking and found that I can change colors on the headline, so I can work this
out, at least.

If the font colours could be changed so it would be easier to read and sort
through it of course, would be way faster to skim thru the calendar and find
the particular events someone is interested in.

Okay, so what color scheme do you want - by type of event or country? Either
way, it will take a little time.

Joe

Thanks for your time,
Janey "Red Brick"