 Publishing / 597
  Re: URL characters

(...) Unix makes the ~ character a users home directory ... so UnixSystem/~lee ... would be my home directory ... Now because of this, and since the Internet (Arpanet) were all college schools when it 'went public', the system of choice at colleges (...) (25 years ago, 18-Jul-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: URL characters

(...) That's what I thought the etymology of ~ was in URLs too -- but how did it ever get *allowed* in URLs in the first place? That's what baffles me. The first time someone tried it, why didn't it fail? The early browsers and httpd daemons must've (...) (25 years ago, 18-Jul-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: URL characters

Wouldn't NCSA be the one to blame? ncsa-httpd supported the feature that caused people to use ~. Did they make that up? KL (...) (25 years ago, 18-Jul-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: URL characters

Universal Resource Locators (that's what it stands for) started out as path descriptions. For why twiddle is supported, you might read up on the Andrew File System. ~lpien is a valid file path (that is, you can cd to it) on a CTP unix box, or was (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jul-99, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: URL characters

(...) Total grokkage there! (Been using ~ for that since '84 :) It's one of the Truly Great Simplicities of modern day computing life, IMHO. (...) I think -that's- the key thing! (People considering it broken.) URLs & URIs do disallow twiddle (ASCII (...) (25 years ago, 19-Jul-99, to lugnet.publish)