 Publishing / 4621
Re: What to Look For in a Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:48:54 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Max Maxwell wrote:
   Hello all, I am looking to buy a digital camera, mainly to photograph my Lego models. I also want to be able to print some 8 x 10’s. I want to know what features I should look for to meet my needs (hows many megapixels, etc.).

Thanks, Max

Hi Max. I have found that the two main features needed for a good digital camera/LEGO setup are a macro setting (for very close-up shots) and at least 4 megapixels (to be able to print decent-looking 8x10s).

I personally have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 which I highly recommend. I got mine used on eBay for $300. They are still available new for $699 MSRP, or refurbished for as little as $309 (with available 1- 2- and 3-year warranties for a little more $$). The Coolpix 4500 has a macro capability as close as 3/4 of an inch! It also has a unique swivel-body construction, allowing for a wider range of shooting options.

You can read some REVIEWS on the camera to help you learn more.

Oh, you’ll want a tripod, as well. Without one, your work will be much more difficult.

Oh yah, the available Macro Cool-Light SL-1 is a VERY COOL accessory; perfectly suited for what you are wanting to do. You can see it in the accessories link from the link above. I don’t have one yet, but I will in the not-too-distant-future!

Anyway, that’s my advice to you for photographing your LEGO creations.

Hope it helps...

Jonathan Eric Hunter
www.legogh.com