 Publishing / 3891
Re: Six Wide Santa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:34:09 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
Flash introduces glare. If you can, use good lights, use a tripod and longer
exposure times, etc, but avoid flashes. Some things flash makes better, some
it makes worse. Conventional wisdom (not just me!) is that LEGO(r) is one of
the latter.

Well, it can introduce problems, but cameras are generally optimized
for certain lighting conditions.  If your camera has a white balance
option, then maybe that would make it work.  But I've never been able
to get the colors right without either outdoor photography (which has
its own set of problems) or the flash.

To avoid the glare, choose your angles carefully.  If you shoot
straight-on to a flat ABS surface, you will get glare.  But if you
shoot at a little bit of an angle, it isn't as much of a problem.
With digital cameras nothing is wasted if you don't like the way it
turns out, so take lots of pictures and use the ones that came out the
best.

One tip I've heard, which I haven't tried myself, is to put a Kleenex
over the flash, which diffuses the light and reduces glare.

Another good tip: when photographing something dark, use a dark
background.  Cameras can't handle high contrast, and the dark will end
up black and the light areas will end up bright white.  If you
photograph black LEGO on a black background, it will come out looking
a lot better than you might think.  Try it and see!

--Bill.

        Consistency is not really a human trait.
                         --Maude (from the film "Harold & Maude")