 Publishing / 3695
3694  |  3696
Subject:
Brickshelf and films
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 17:42:50 GMT

A small hello from the bandwidth-eaters!

For some time now, a new group of LEGO users has been rising, using the
bricks and minifigs in completely new ways. We're talking about stop-motion
animation here, and the hobby is thriving. Just look at the number of films
found at both http://www.coolbrickmovies.com/ and http://www.brickfilms.com/
.

One of the largest problems we film-makers come across is the publishing of
our films. Movie files are traditionally large, especially if we want the
viewers to get the best possible quality. 5-15 MB is no exception, with at
times sizes up to and exceeding 100 MB. There are now no free website
providers that allow these files to be stored: when more than one person
tries to download them, they simply lock up for an hour.

And then there was BrickShelf. No limits to file sizes, number of files,
bandwidth constraints or whatever. More and more film-makers become aware of
this great service and adopt BrickShelf as their main film storage space. I
don't think I'm wrong if I say that BrickShelf has had quite a large
contribution in making this hobby so popular.

Recently, though, all folders have become locked due to the moderation
process. This is, in itself, a good thing: I believe that moderation will
help BrickShelf stay a good place to be. The only trouble is that moderators
seem to put movie files in a waiting queue, because they are not easily
reviewed. If anyone is helped with a complete package (.zip file) containing
installation files for all programs one might need to view these films, I'd
be more than happy to provide that, and make moderation easier, because the
jewels among these animations are there to be seen, and should be seen by as
many people as possible! I'd like to note that the possibility of deep
linking has kept us mostly out of trouble, aside from some website
modifications.

I realise that these films put a relatively high strain on BrickShelf,
because they eat up far more bandwidth and disk space than images. A further
complication is that people like to provide different versions of their
films, with different compression/quality rates. I would like to know how
BrickShelf stands towards this behaviour, and if there are any plans to put
restrictions on this in the future.

I'd also like to know BrickShelf's attitude to the more controversial of
these films. Some of them show minifigs killing each other, complete with
blood and such. There will be more of these coming due to the
ShootinBricks/MysticStudios Horror Contest (http://www.shootinbricks.com/ ).

To conclude, I would like to thank Kevin Loch heartily for all of his
effort, and I think that I can speak for all the animation community when I
say that I hope he will be providing this excellent service for many years
still!

Yours truly,

Stefan.

---
YellowHead Studios. Where LEGO comes to life!
http://www.yellowhead.8m.com/