 Publishing / 2748
Re: Point and Shoot Cameras
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:21:48 GMT

I strongly suggest digital over 35mm camera's.

I get far better results with a point-and-shoot digital than I did with an
expensive 35mm with nice lenses, an expensive scanner, and professional
lights.

Here is a photo I took with the expensive 35mm gear and scanned.  This photo
shoot took about an our to set up because I had to put up lights, tripods,
get light settings, etc, etc.  Then I had to get the film developed, scan
the images, and process them with digital filters.
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/city2/rest1.htm

Here is a photo I took with my Olympus 490D (about $400) point-and-shoot.
It took less than 30 seconds, and required no tripod or lighting.  Note how
the lighting situation is difficult as well since the sun was shining in the
window behind the subject:

Note how the digital picture is crisper and cleaner. I think that the
lighting and colors are just as good (and would be better if I didn't have
the sun shining in from behind).

A key feature of the digital that the 35MM didn't have is a "macro" focus
mode.  This makes it possible to focus on things super-close and
super-small.  I've taken wonderful shots of a mini-fig from only about 8
inches away!  The mini-fig took up the whole pictures and I could see every
little scratch and nick on him!  Of course, more modern 35MM camera's may
have such a feature as well.

Many people think that digital shots are great for the internet but produce
crappy paper output.  In fact, this is highly dependent on the digital
camera and the printer.  If you have a 2 megapixel camera or better and you
have a relatively recent (1 year or newer) color printer, and you use glossy
paper, you will get BETTER results than a professional blow-up of a 35MM
print.  Trust me, the colors are brighter and the details clearer with the
digital blow-up as opposed to the traditional.  My parents have about a $400
HP color printer and its fantastic.  We have about a 3 year only Epson color
printer and it looks like crap.

I hope that helps.

Harvey Henkelman <HarveyHenkelman@webtv.net> wrote in message
Hello everyone, I'd like to know which film cameras out there (not • digital)
would be best for
photographing my train MOC's. Can the point and shoot type be good also? • Is
35mm best for this? -Harvey