 Publishing / 2742
Re: Point and Shoot Cameras
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:23:08 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Hello everyone, I'd like to know which film cameras out there (not digital)
would be best for
photographing my train MOC's. Can the point and shoot type be good also? Is
35mm best for this? -Harvey
Harvey,

I would say, that the best digital (and real too!) camera for taking lego
photos is one that can focus down to as close to the lens as you can afford.

I use a Yashica FX-D body, with either a 55mm normal lens, or the Yashica Macro
lens.  I would say go with a 35mm, Single Lens Reflex camera, with a
exchangeable lens.  Go to a used camera store, and ask them what they have, and
what they would recommend.  When I got my body, I wanted a all manual camera,
with only TTL built in (light meter).  This one has a auto shutter capability,
unlike my all manual FX-2000 body that got stolen, but it is still a simple
camera in comparison to any camera with auto focus/exposure.

Some point and shoot cameras can be used to take photos, but...first off, most
are designed to be point and shot at something 3' away or more, and the ones
which can be used for macro photograpy tend towards being nearly as expensive
as a used SLR.  To give an idea, I paid ~300 CDN 2 years ago for my SLR, so
probably ~250 USD, that was with the Macro lens, which cost more than the body
did, IIRC about 170/130 respectively.  If you are on a tight budget, get a
35mm lens, which will let you shoot down to ~1.5 ft, vice the 10" (nominal, I
can shoot down to 6" or so in fact).  The more common lens will cost much less
(like $50 or so).  The advantage of a SLR is that you don't loose your
investment in lenses, you can go and buy a 2nd lens when you do have enough $$$
to buy a macro lens (or, you can get a set of tubes, and play that way)

So much for how I do photos....

James