 Publishing / 2274
Re: Forced refresh of html pages instead of getting them from browser cache
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.publish, Ed Jones writes:
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Is there a better (any other?) way to force a page not to be cached but
instead fetched from the server every time, other than using the META • EXPIRES
tag at the top of the page.

That's the only way I found and am interested to learn if there are others.

Thanks!

++Lar

<Ctrl> reload works for me.

That's a keystroke, right? A process runs to generate these pages quite
frequently. We want the user to see the most freshly generated page without
the user having to take any action of their own. So we want to put tags into
the page to tell the browser not to cache, by forcing it to expire out of the
browser (and out of intermediate caching servers).

Or am I missing something?

As other posters have said, it seems the meta tag with the expires and pragma
nocache subtags (I like KL's example, seems very belt and suspenders, and
that's meeee...) is the way to go.

Just a clarification, my example was for direct writing of HTTP headers,
as you must do in a CGI.  I suppose those tags would work as META HTTP-EQUIV
tags in a web page, but I'm not sure if all proxy caches look at http-equivs,
while they do look at the real HTTP headers.

KL

BTW, the reason I *had* to figure out how to do this is because after
uploading a file, the server spits out a javascript redirect (this.replace ...)
to the folder url the uploaded to.  If that page was cached, the user would see
the cached page instead of the new one with the new icon(s) for the
files they just uploaded.

KL