 Publishing / 2142
Re: Thumbnails...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:50:09 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Bryan Wong writes:
Hi,

Is there a "proper" way to create thumbnails?  Basically, what I do is
transfer the 640x480 image from my camera to my computer.  Then I create
another version of the image (say, 50% of the original 320x240).  Finally, on
my page I'll have the smaller image displayed, and clicking on it will open
the original, larger picture.

In doing so, I literally have two sets of pictures - which takes up storage
space, but saves the page-viewer time if they don't want to load a page full
of large pictures.

Any advice?  Maybe there isn't a "proper" way.  Thanks in advance.

If you want to save downloading time for the page-viewer, then that is the
best way to do it. Some people use the 'width' attribute to show a thumbnailed
image, but it still downloads the full image and scales it down to match the
width.
So if you want to have a lot of pictures on one page, the 'width' attribute of
the IMG tag works fine but AFAIK it doesn't save on downloading time.

--
Frank Buiting

Visit the LEGO Lexicon: http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/