 Publishing / 2008
Re: Scan Quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 00:14:29 GMT

The moire is most likely to disappear at 300dpi. If this is on a dedicated
scanning computer, I'd be very surprised if it had no provisions for reducing
moire. Since disk space isn't a concern, 300dpi will probably do you pretty
well. Oh, another trick fro reducing moire; try either aligning the source
exactly with your borders, or setting it at a slight angle to the border. This
will change the alignments of the screens used in printing with the pixels of
the scanner, hopefully reducing the cross-hatching that you're getting.

-Cheese

In lugnet.publish, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.publish, Matthew Wilkins writes:
Most decent image manipulation packages like Photoshop or the like have
features or filters that will allow you to remove the moire.

What about freeware/shareware applications (I can easily get Paint Shop Pro)?
I can't ask my boss for Photoshop to do my own personal stuff.  ;)

Unless you've got unlimited disk space, you'll probably want to keep the • scans
around 300dpi; anything more than that, and you will see bloating of the file
size.

Funny you should mention that...  The computer is a dedicated scanning • computer
for a 42" scanner(I routinely scann stuff in at 400-800 dpi), and has a bunch
of gigs free.  :)  Basically what I want is good scan quality, so that I can
post the images to the 'net for people to see.  I figured 75-150dpi would be
fine for the images, but the moire makes it look horrible...  I had hoped • there
might be a resolution that the moire disappears, at which point I could
resample it down to a reasonable resolution and post it...

Jeff

In lugnet.publish, Jeff Stembel writes:
I just scanned one of my many Lego posters here at work, and I was wondering • if
anyone could help me with an image quality issue.  These scanners don't have • a
descreen option to remove the annoying cross-hatch pattern.  Does anyone • know
of software that can remove it, or if certain resolutions make it
less/unnoticable?  Also, what dpi would everyone like to see the posters
scanned in at?

Here is the poster:

Jeff