 Publishing / 1456
Re: Cheap Webcams?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:22:05 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

Haylp! I have no experience with web-cams or digi-cameras, so buying a web-cam
and finding that it's unsuitable is a bit of an expensive experiment! Any
advice would be wonderful - am I wasting time considering 640x480? Do web-cams
have any other features that make them unsuitable for taking LEGO pictures?

The pictures on my site (plug follows in .sig) were taken with a fairly
old Sony Mavica (sorry, I don't have the model number to hand- I
borrowed it from work) at 640x480. It takes a bit of skill to get them
out OK (and you can see some of the pics are a bit fuzzy) but you *can*
still get reasonable pics at that resolution.

I did find resizing them down to 320x240 and recompressing looks a bit
better. (Links go from the smaller images to the full size version.) As
to whether webcams (rather than digital cameras) have more problems, I'm
not sure. I've seen a lot of black and white webcams which probably
isn't what you want.

:: paul
:: http://www.songtwo.demon.co.uk/lego/made/