 Publishing / 1230
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:33:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Jeremy Rear writes:
Suzanne-

I acutally have to disagree with your comment here.

If they wanted to keep this information confidential, then they would not
have released ANY of the information given to us, by means of a thrid part
correspondent, or by someone directly within the company.

There are layers of confidentiality, obviously.  I believe this is a breach
of the layer between the retailer and the customer.

BTW, I wouldn't assume that sending out retailer catalogs qualifies as
"releasing" information.  Retailer catalogs contain private information
intended for retailers only and are quite different from consumer product
catalogs.

Huy's scans contain the following information:

i) set name
ii) set number
iii) picture of set

This information seems to be exactly the same as what's in the consumer
catalog. One notes that he did not post scans of the entire retailer catalog,
only pages that showed sets that had not already been revealed by the 2000 US
catalog posted by Kevin Loch. If there were information on items such as profit
margin, suggested sales tactics, then I would understand the controversy. Or if
Huy had leaked prototype pictures six months ago of what the 2000 sets might
look like, then that too would probably be a Bad Thing.

One of the things the Internet is very good at is correct marketplace
inefficiencies. Inefficiencies both in pricing as well as the distribution of
information. The fact that Lego users have to rely on 3rd-party scans to get
information about forthcoming sets, when that information has clearly been
settled on, just shows that TLC is out of step with the realities of the
Internet economy.

- chris