 Publishing / 1113
Re: 2 random html questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 17:52:49 GMT

Matthew Miller:

First, is "&" legal in text in HTML?

Yes. But it will (should) be interpreted differently
depending on the context.

- "&" followed by "#" denotes the start of a numerical
   ISO 10646 character reference.
- "&" followed by a letter (ISO 646 only AFAIR) denotes
   the start of a character entity.
- "&" followed by a space (or most/all "special"
   characters) is simply an "&" followed by whatever
   follows it.

Second, the "NOSHADE" attribute of the HR element is listed as depreciated.
Ok, that's all well and good, but: what's the new way of doing this? I can't
figure out how to do it with style sheets. Am I missing something?

The new way of getting the "NOSHADE" effect on a horizontal
ruler is definitely using style sheets. There is only one
small problem. You have to do it through manipulation with
the foreground and background colours and the margin
settings (rather complicated, but more powerful than the old
way).

Play well,

Jacob

PS: I don't work with SGML every day and I don't have a SGML
    reference at hand, so the ampersand story is not
    complete (and maybe not even completely true).

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --