 Pirates / 890
Re: Uncertain Definition of a Ship Type...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 04:47:54 GMT

Hi.

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Hi.

"Ketch."

My son and I get out the glove and baseball and play ketch.

I was waiting for this.  I tossed you a soft pitch, and fully expected you to hit
it out of the park.  ;)

Discuss.

FWIW...

From GuruNet:
"ketch (kĕch)
n. Nautical.
A two-masted fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel with a mizzenmast stepped
aft of a taller mainmast but
forward of the rudder."

Oooh, thanks.  I was more concerned about how it has historically been employed.
"Bomb Ketch" is what I'm most familiar with.

Just don't ask me what that means. Mizzenmast, hurmph. (and me thought I
knew something about ships. :-)

From the front to the back: foremast, mainmast, mizzenmast.  The mizzenmast is
aft (rear of ship) of the mainmast.  This being a two-masted ship (all at
once, "that means it's not a ship") it will have a tall mainmast and a smaller
foremast or mizzenmast.  Since the larger mast is forward, it is termed the
mainmast rather than the foremast in this case.  If the mizzenmast was placed
aft of the of the rudder (and most likely it would be a smaller mast than on a
ketch), it would be a yawl.  Reverse the sizes on a ketch's masts so that the
larger is aft (and more towards the center of the ship) and it is a schooner.

Okay...now what do you call the "bonus mast" on a schooner with *four* masts...?
Or do the rules go out the window when money flies innuendo...no, wait, wrong
ending.  I mean, do rules go out the window when you no longer have "true"
ship-rigs?  What on Earth do you call the four bonus masts on the _Thomas W.
Lawson_?

incitingly,

Lindsay