 Pirates / 76
Re: Imperial Guard Backpack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:35:52 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:

Mike Stanley wrote:

Ed Jones <ejones@bloomington.in.us> wrote:
I am suitably chastened and chastized.  Shall I maroon myself or walk the
plank?

Arrrr, just swab the deck a little, matey.

Keel-haul the swabbie!  And make him kiss the gunner's daughter!

J, who doesn't remember exactly what kissing the gunner's daughter is, but
   seems to remember it's rather more dire than the name suggests...

Here's an excerpt from
http://broadside.napoleonicwars.com/broadside8.html:

   If the ships boys were caught up to trouble they might
   be made to' kiss the gunners daughter.' They were bent
   over a cannon and caned on the backside. The gunner
   was the officer in charge of the boys welfare.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com