 Pirates / 4539
4538  |  4540
Subject:
New Ship for His Majesty's Navy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 04:11:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Folks,
While waiting for enough capital to finish the main deck of the Surprise, I
decided to retool an old set and build a two masted sloop of war.  The photos
can be view at the following link.

Historically, sloops could range from one to three masts and their armaments
varied from no guns to as many as thirty (the Surprise is a three master and has
28)  This ship named the HMS Erasmus is a 8 gun sloop during the modernization
of artillery on ships (roughly 1785).  She boasts six 12 pdrs (please ignor the
lack of wheels, all I have are alotted to the Surprise) and two 24 pdr
carronades as well as six 2 pdr swivel guns.  Her crew is a compliment of 28 men
and 9 officers (commissioned and non).  Her sails are a combination of square
rigged with the addition of a spanker on the mizzenmast.  Other points of
interest are the barrels of weapons displayed on deck while in combat and the
lookout who has a custom made spyglass.  For the spyglass I cut a set of
binoculars in half and shaved the rough edge and it serves nicely.  Her colors
are brown, grey and black, fairly common colors on small shipes, (fith rates and
below in the late 18th century).  These photos are a littled, as I have made
some improvements that I will post photos of soon.  Please if anyone has any
comments or suggestions, please do let me know.  Thanks,
Christopher Templin