 Pirates / 4305
Re: W I D E hull sections, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:20:46 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Dan Vogel wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Mathew Clayson wrote:

   First off, get yourself a razor saw, this will give you cleaner cuts that remove less material. I’d recomend cutting the sections down the middle , and not offset. Make you initial cut across the top. Then flip it over, anduse side cutters to cut the ends of the molded rib. If the cut is centered over the rib, you should be able to pull it free now. You can remove any extra material around the cuts with a hobby knife. And even glue some tile or shaved plates to the underside if you want it really secure.

As for the stern, seperate the top from the bottom before cutting. I’d split the top down the middle, and remove the keel section as 2 stud wide piece: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/HackandSlash/2559c01a.jpg Use a hobby knife to make the cross cut. After making the long cuts with a saw, score the plastic with the knife and the plastic should breack off aling the line.

Having split hull sections is what LEGO should have had from the begining. I have ~20 ships in my collection, mostly BSB. But 2 are COKO brand clones. The COKO ships came with split hull sections that were otherwise nearly identical to LEGO’s.

Mat

out of curiosity, where did you find your COKO ships? Some of the models look very interesting and would not mind getting my hand on one. I don’t know if it is the same company or another asian company, but Oxford Korea also makes really neat looking ships, again it is hard to find one for sale, i know they also split their hulls. and they have black large hulls! :) wish i could find one!

I bought my COKO ships at TRU in the SF Bay Area. I’ve been collecting Pirates scince day one, and these showed up about a year or so after the BSB. There wern’t alot of other LEGO ships avalible at the time, and the price was right. So I bought one, and then another a couple years later when they were on a clearance isle. But it’s been 10 years scince I’ve seen one for sale. I ended up throwing some of the kit parts in my “bucket of shame”, mostly the aweful minifigs and a few warped plates. But the rest is OK.

   I have cut one of the small hulls before to attempt to make a larger hulled ship, however my hand wasnt as strait as i would have liked and it didnt come eout too well :(

I use old/clone block to line up my cuts. And a hobby knife and razor saw to make the cuts. This really helps.

Mat