 Pirates / 4101
Re: Medieval Merchant Ship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:26:44 GMT

In regards to: (Hah! I got the formatted text right this time!)

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Nice work! I like the railings and the small ladder to the quarter deck particularly, and fully decked vessels are always pleasing.

For a medieval vessel, the main mast looks too far aft, and the (horizontal) bow sprit seems out of period. As a general guideline, bowsprits evolved from masts over time, gradually moving from the vertical to the horizontal.

Nice choice of piece for the tiller, too.

Thanks for the nice comments!

It is odd how the way you conceive a thing can have such cascade effect on the model. The first image in my head was the barrels being loaded using a piece of netting. I wanted a very small ship so I used just one hull piece. That pretty much determined where the hatch to the hold would go which then in turn led to the odd placement of the mast which was partly to avoid the hatch and even further back to allow the crane to be able to swing over the side of the ship and yet also come back over the hatch.

The bowsprit, now that you mention it, does make it look like a nineteenth century vessel (which may have been in my head when I was building) but is mostly a result of not really thinking about it. To be honest I just wanted to build a ship and also enter the Colossal Castle contest so I have pretty much ended up with a Hornblower/Aubrey era ship with a “castle” crew! Don’t tell the guys at CC.Com, ok?

I think I should get some critiques next time BEFORE I submit such an entry in a contest. All those suggestions I have to take into account and re-work the model when I get a chance. Or I could just put aboard a “pirate” crew. :)

I always thought that long piece was odd but it seemed to be perfect for the tiller.

Thanks,

Ted