 Pirates / 3958
Re: Do I dare to write "New 4+ Pirate sets" here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:38:50 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
   Sorry for nudging in on Pirates, I’m certain there has been concensus about the new 4+ Pirate sets NOT belonging to this newsgroup - but alas! there’s no JackStone group!

I’ve bought set 7072, the small black boat. The boat hull is the one known from Fabuland, Belville and 5986, but now in black. The mast is a new type, more Technic-like (as in “studless beam” Technic). The model itself is of course pure garbage, but the sail and the new small printed flag are indeed very usable, as are the two curved black railings. The fig is an absolute horror - even my garbage can is to good to put it in! I carried this set home together with the Belville pop-singer set (5942) and the pirate fig must have got his hands on the singer’s make-up gear, because as I got him out of the box, he turned out to have LIGHT GREEN lips and eyebrows!?!?

Well, never the less, I’ve vowed to get the big ship as well - hopefully on deep discount about Christmas time!

Arne,

I find it funny that you posted this because less than half an hour ago I was perusing the Guide of the 4+ sets, both Jack Stone and Pirate, and I wanted to comment as well. I also found your numerous comments very fitting and I know there’s a lot of little changes that could have been done to the Jack Stone sets to make them more appealing and versatile. I am hoping to find some JS sets on sale/clearance because some of those “funky” pieces and unique windshields are begging to be placed in space. And as for the Pirates, I too am disappointed on the whole. I have to say those figs look bad from the pics and I’ll take your word for the Belville influence. A couple of pieces that really interest me are the (what seems to be fabricated) skull piece, those chrome scimitars, and Red Beard’s ship looks fun, despite the lousy figs and redbrown. Anyway...thanks for that review. That boat hull sounds promising if the set is on sale. As for us in the US, I think we’ll have to wait beyond Christmas for some deep discounts. D’oh!

-Andrew P. Saada