 Pirates / 3936
3935  |  3937
Subject:
how long should bowsprints be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:00:11 GMT

hello everyone, i have a question. how long are the bowsprints on your ships as
compared to the length of your respective ship? is there any historical
"formula" as to finding the length the bowsprint of a ship should be? i have
many pics of ships, from small frigates to first rate HMS Caledonia, and they
seem to have varying lengths of bowsprints.

on my newer ships, i have begun to use longer bowsprints, and am considering
using a full medium and top mast piece together as the bowsprint of my ship in
progress, but am looking to get some input here as to the accuracy of such a
long one. it seems that some ships i have pics of have ones that are almost half
as long as the ship (albeit angled upward, so it doesnt appear to add another
50% length on the ship), while some have shorter ones.

any help you guys could give, opinion or fact, would be welcome! maybe there
will be dissenting opinions, and we'll even have a debate :-) .  thanks!

best regards,
steve