 Pirates / 3895 (-5)
  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Nice work! (uses leet hacking skills to see rest of pics) Clean lines, sloping done to perfection etc. So is it a ghost ship or have you crewed it yet? ;) (...) I'm no help on the accuracy side of things, I generally only take a cursory look (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) respectfully, my reference books say that the term "sloop" is very ambiguous. originally, it had meant a single masted vessel, but that definition changhed over time. the definition of a "sloop of war" is a vessel captained by an officer with (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Or brigantine, technically, since the mainsail itself is gaff-rigged. Here's a page that explains: (URL) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Here's some constructive criticism to start with, Steve: A "sloop" is by definition a single masted ship (with one jib). Your ship is actually a brig. Another thing you may want to change is the mast heights. The mainmast should be higher than (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

well, with Orion being a rather ageing man of war, she sailed back to England to be refit. as a replacement, the Admiralty sent out the first of the newest class of sloop, HMS Tempest. (URL) her design is a vast improvement over the prior ships. she (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact