 Pirates / 3365
Re: A day sail from Port Brique
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:58:07 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   have not seen much from port block in a long time! does he still build ships?

No tall ships recently, but Richard did bring along some small craft to Bricksmeet. Have a look at these.

Stuff still happens at Port Block, but not of the sail driven variety.

Having built some large and small vessels on the narrow and wide hulls, design seemed a bit tapped out. As Richie notes, there has been some recent activity in the ‘heretical research department’ cutting up rowboat pieces in an endeavour to make them useful, with not altogether unsuccessful results.

BUT, as we were discussing at the fest, attacking rowboat pieces with a saw is only a precursor to the main game - attacking ship hull pieces.

I got to four centre sections with Agamemnon, and could not find a way to progress beyond that - fixed max width defined fixed max length defined fixed max height. Richie has pushed the envelope with extra inverted slopes, and his glorious 6 centre sectioned vessel has earned him (for mine) pre-eminence in South Pacific shipbuilding.

Obviously Port Block cannot allow this challenge to go unanswered ;-)

Right now am working on concepts for wide hull pieces split down the middle to allow for a 20 wide hull, and snot-wise designs for sloped sides, to drive towards a true three decker that looks halfway decent.

I must say, research is not going well in terms of outcomes, but as Einstein said ‘If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research’. Just makes it all the sweeter when a successful concept is revealed.

Richard - Still baldly going...

Check out Port Block Yards, and New Pacific