 Pirates / 3356
Re: His Majesty's Loyal Privateer Lady Grace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I’m not a fan of schooner rigs generally, but I’d love to see this one under full canvas - she’d have quite a turn of speed, I’d imagine, although she’d be a bit of a handful under sail control alone (or did I miss a tiller somewhere?).

  • it’s an *invisible* tiller. And that’s an invisible boat too! : )
But let’s not let that get around, there are pirates that would try to take advantage of her ladyship.

As to the schooner rig, I’m generally not a big fan either, though in this case everything fit. Schooners were some of the most common and quickest rigs on the grand banks back then... as they continued to be for a century. The appeal, as near as I can tell, is the low crew-to-size ratio, ideal for fishermen in a reasonably dangerous line of work. Though I might have over-armed her with the six popguns... well, if she rolls I’ll know!

I’m hoping I’ll have her under canvas in a few weeks time, but you know me, about as quick as an American shipyard in 1792! What’s that you say, a decade for a frigate? Sounds about right! : )

Kenneth Tam Brickley’s Cove http://members.rogers.com/brickleyscove/Home.htm