 Pirates / 3069
Re: Pirate thoughts from the 2003 Adventurers line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Tom Reed writes:
Hey Richie,
The bad guy torso doesn't have a gun.  It has a strap across his chest with
a pouch on it.  The pouch has a flap on it.  It could be taken as a shoulder
holster, but there is no gun to be seen.  You can see it pretty good in my
pic on brickshelf.  Here's the link:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Merthyn/AdventurerParts2003/adv2.jpg

Thanks for the link. That's excellent news.

Which is good, but what about the headgear for a soldier?

It further occurs to me that taking a sharp knife (or spinning cutting disk)
and trimming 3/4s of the brim from a top hat (such as the one conveniently
included in 7409) would yield a presentable shako substitute. (If you wanted
to get carried away, you could glue part of the brim back on as a plume).
The top hats are only about 2/3 the height of a shako, so they wouldn't
blend in, but you might get by with using them exclusively!

Yes, I'd noted the difference in height. I'll be going with a unit-by-unit
differentiation for the Grande Armee. Real life shakos varied between units
and over time considerably too.

I've had good
luck in modifying pieces with an exacto knife.  I wouldn't use the cutting
disk as the heat created will melt the plastic.

I haven't had a problem with the cutting disk, but I've always been
conscious of the potential melting hazard and given the piece plenty of time
to cool down between cuts. (I've trimmed the neck guard from a crown, the
wings from a fright knight helmet and the face from a Darth Vader helmet
without incident).

I find the disk allows much finer control than a knife, less danger to
fingers too. (Although there is a real eye hazard with the disks.)

If you want to glue a piece
onto another, I've found a super glue dispenser pen with a pointed tip works
pretty well.  Just watch that you don't glue your finger.

Weren't there some sailors that wore top hats?  I seem to recall some
pictures of pirates/sailors in a type of hat that was very similar to what
we call a top hat.  I may be off in another time zone, but I just thought
I'd mention it.

Not sure of pirates/sailors, but there was one episode of Hornblower in
which the marines wore top-hat-like hats, and that series was regarded as
fairly historically accurate, IIRC.

Another use for top hats is beafeaters...

I'll post a pic of the modified top hat in the next day or so (sunlight
permitting - it's a bit dim in Sydney at the moment).
Yes, please do!  I'd be interested in seeing it.  Good luck on the modifying
process!

Thanks

Another thing I'd like to mention is that the torsos on some of the Indian
figs (the ones with the turbans) would work great for some pirate figs.  Two
of them have sword or scimitar handles in the sashes on the waist!  Pretty >nice!

Absolutely!

Cheers

Richie