 Pirates / 2918
Re: SNOT Fractional Offsets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:03:36 GMT

In lugnet.build, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.build, Paul Hanson writes:

(2)  Is it possible to make these offsets (0.5, 0.1, 0.3) without the use of
1x2 center-stud tiles?  I'm trying to think if there's a small brick or
piece that serves the same role as the 1x1 side stud headlight piece, but
with a 1/10 stud offset instead of 1/5.

Try this part (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4081a). I seem to remember
someone using it for a 1/10 stud offset in a 2-wide train car. There are 2
versions of this part, and I think the difference is in the thickness of the
center ring, which would affect how it would be used.

I checked these out last night.  The new version, with the thin center ring,
results in a flush surface.  That is, the center ring is 1/2 plate thick, so
that a tile on either side ends up flush with the 1x1 plate.

The old ones, however, have a center ring that is the same thickness as a
plate.  As a result, there is still 0.75 plate thicknesses on either side of
the center ring.  Therefore, a tile attached here projects 1/4 of a plate past
the 1x1, or 0.1 stud!  It works!

Don't you have old and new reversed here?

Frank